There will be a Prayer Vigil for Unique Thrift Workers this Thursday, June 6th from 3:30-4:30pm at Unique Thrift Store in Kingsbridge (218 West 234th Street). This is an opportunity for the community to support the workers who are forming a union to ensure dignity and respect, wages that will allow them to pay the rent, and improved benefits including paid sick days.
Here is the notice we received yesterday from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (RWDSU):
Workers at Unique Thrift in Kingsbridge have issues. Their pay and benefits are low, they receive no paid sick days or vacations and they report that managers disrespect them on a daily basis. In response, they have decided to come together and form a union!Since then, the company has responded with a campaign of fear and harassment against the workers. They have:
- Hired an expensive anti-union consultant and forced the workers to meet with him
- Told workers that the store would close if they vote for the union
- Threatened workers jobs if they sign with the union
- Punished workers who they think are with the union
- Changed store policy to retaliate against the workersThe union has filed charges against the company with the U.S. Government’s National Labor Relations Board alleging all the above, but they need your support now!This Thursday, the faith community will be supporting the workers by hold a prayer vigil led by Rev. Danny Diaz on the eve of the union election. Join him, the workers and community members:Thursday, June 6th, 3:30-4:30pmUnique Thrift Store (Kingsbridge, Bronx)218 West 234th Street1 train to 231st St, walk 3 blocks north on 234th