UNHP is looking for someone special to join our team! We will be hiring a Housing & Financial Services Advocate to help us provide our wide range of free financial and housing services available out of the Northwest Bronx Resource Center.
It is a full-time position working closely with the Director of the Northwest Bronx Resource Center, Jumelia Abrahamson. The ideal candidate is a bilingual (English/Spanish), people-person with a willingness to learn and work on a team. A passion to work with Bronx residents to build financial stability and housing security is a plus!
Position Title: Housing and Financial Services Advocate
Organization: University Neighborhood Housing Program (UNHP)
Job Type: Full Time with occasional weekends and evenings
University Neighborhood Housing Program is a community based non‐profit that works to create, preserve and improve affordable housing in the Bronx. In addition to our housing work, UNHP operates the Northwest Bronx Resource Center. The Center provides topic‐specific financial education workshops, a free tax preparation program, financial coaching, affordable housing resources and financial education workshops. All of our services are free to the community. UNHP is seeking a bi‐lingual “people‐person” who has an interest in working with Bronx residents and connecting them with a range of financial education and affordable housing programs. The Housing and Financial Services Advocate would work on and off‐site at UNHP‐affiliated locations to organize attendance and coordinate outreach for events, provide direct housing and financial services assistance to Bronx residents and communicate the wide range of services the Center offers to the community. The Advocate would assist residents with SCRIE/DRIE enrollment, renewal and screening, credit report printing and analysis and NYC Housing Connect application and follow up.
• Recruit, schedule and follow‐up with current and new customers
• Organize local outreach events
• Execute an outreach plan for the NYC Rent Freeze, to help us reach more senior citizens and disabled tenants
• Assist neighborhood residents enroll, renew and get screened for NYC Rent Freeze and Housing Connect.
• Engage with neighborhood residents through in‐person events, phone calls, emails and social media to connect them with UNHP services and events
• Promote multi‐program participation among all Resource Center Programs
• Enter and complete intake forms into database (Salesforce)
• Assess through conversations the needs of neighborhood residents, follow up to insure attendance at events and appointments
• Demonstrate leadership and follow‐through to connect with institutional and Church leaders to increase outreach
• Participate and facilitate financial literacy sessions at topic‐specific workshops
• Learn and understand eviction prevention issues and resources
• Assist the Northwest Bronx Resource Center staff with planning and outreach for financial education, housing resource events and our robust VITA Free Income Tax Preparation Program (training is provided)
• Bilingual in Spanish ( required)
• Associates or Bachelors College Degree
• A People‐Person and able to engage with neighborhood residents
• Quick learner, especially during fast‐paced events
• Excellent phone etiquette and in‐person communication skills
• Good verbal and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
• Ability to create flyers and marketing materials in print and electronic form
• Knowledgeable and willing to learn Financial Education & Eviction Prevention skills
• Able to work some evenings and weekends, especially during the income tax season
• Professional manner and good time management skills
• Computer knowledge, including Microsoft Word and Excel
• Knowledge of the database, Salesforce, is a plus
UNHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO) offering comprehensive benefits including Medical, Dental, Short‐and‐Long‐Term Disability, and Life Insurance; 403(b)
Please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com